Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Meal Idea: Roasted Dill Potatoes, Breaded Chicken Breasts & Stir Fry Veggies

This meal couldn't get any healthier. If you missed my post on The Skinny on Coconut Oil, let me tell you, yes it has the same amount of calories as regular oil, but guess what? It's a fat burner due to the medium chain fatty acids, and it's rich with wonderful antioxidants (I'm on a quest to stay young, lol). Not to mention it makes the flavors of food even more scrumptious! So even though we're using all these tablespoons of coconut oil, it burns more calories of the whole meal by 15% more. That's like when I go to Macy's and buy everything on sale, and use my star rewards member discount card and get an additional 20%. You bet your lucky stars I'm doing the happy dance at the counter! I love me a great deal, I get a thrill when shopping and saving $ on discounts and sales. Sure I used 2 tbs of butter as well, but it was non-hydrogenated butter, dairy free, and low cal. If there's anything I like most with carbs, it's butter =) I'm infamous for trying to have my pie and eat it too, and I will.  I eat butter, but I do it in a healthy way especially in moderation, which leads me to my next love. 

Flour. I love making roti most. If you're not sure what's a roti, it's a type of west indian flatbread. I'll take a pic of it this week for you. It's comparable to pita bread, naan, or parathas. Nothing like flour tortillas though, it's way yummier, (no offense Mexico). Well this new Flour I bought recently is amazing. I plan on using it from now on for everything. First let me say, if you cook with bleached flour, you might want to stay away from it because they use all these chemicals to age the flour than it would be done naturally. The flour has things in it like chlorine....yes chlorine the thing that keeps pools clean. It contains many other additives that have been linked with cancer too. If you don't believe me, look it up. Anyway unbleached flour is great. It's when you're making cakes, pastries, and breads that you'll notice the difference in density, and would want to use bleached flour. I grew up seeing my family buy it, so I just ended up buying it when I was on my own, but no more now that I know the difference!

What's there not to love? Check it out!




















Breaded Chicken Breasts Recipe

Ingredients:

4 large chicken breasts sliced in thin slices (butterfly cut) washed and drained. 
3/4 cup Vigo bread crumbs
1/4 cup Ultragrain all purpose flour 
1 egg 
2 tbs water 
salt 
black pepper 
3 tbs coconut oil 

Steps: 
  1. Beat egg, add water, salt, and pepper. Set aside in a shallow plate.
  2. Mix flour and bread crumbs in a large shallow plate, set aside. 
  3. Dip chicken breast slices into egg mixture. 
  4. Lay fillet on flour, cover both sides with bread crumb mixture and pound the chicken into it. 
  5. Fry in coconut oil 5 mins each side depending on breast thickness, on medium-low heat. I put 1/2 tbs oil at a time, when I flip fillets to the next side I add another 1/2 tbs. If you add all at once it sucks up all the oil and seems to be cooking too dryly. 

Roasted Dill Potatoes Recipe 

Ingredients:

2 lbs red skin potatoes; washed, drained and diced
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs butter melted 
dill sprinkled 


Steps: 
  1. In a bowl add olive oil, melted butter, and sprinkle dill. 
  2. Bake in a large pan scattered apart at 350 degrees, for 35-45 mins. All depends on the size of sliced potatoes.

Stir-Fry Veggies Recipe

Ingredients: 

1 large bunch of broccoli crowns, chopped  
4  large Roma tomatoes diced 
8-10 oz whole mushrooms sliced 
1/2 large onion chopped 
1 tbs. coconut oil 
1 tbs. butter 
parsley flakes sprinkled 
seasoning salt sprinkled to taste 
garlic powder sprinkled

Steps: 

  1. Add oil,  fry onions for 1-2 mins. 
  2. Add mushrooms and broccoli. Cook for 3 mins. 
  3. Add tomatoes and butter, parsley, garlic powder, seasoning salt. 
  4. Cook for an additional 7 mins on medium heat. Pay attention to the time, the tomatoes should be softening and getting soaked in the juices, but the broccoli should still have a crunch to it. (I think it's gross if it's soggy.) 




Hasta Mañana...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Google+

Google+ Followers

Total Pageviews

Copyright